Thursday, March 24, 2011

Confessions of a College Grad

Does anybody remember when it seemed so glamorous to graduate from college? TV and society reinforce time and time again that the only way to do anything in this life is to get a degree. So you work and work and strive and struggle and starve until you walk that stage, shake hands with the heads of the college, smile from the camera and steal away with your degree before you can get caught in an awkward conversation with somebody's mom who you don't quite remember.

And then, the magnitude of everything hits. No longer do you have advisor telling you what classes to take and when. No longer can you get by on the minimum wage pay check you were making. And the stacks and stacks and stacks of applications. The minute details that employers request, the mundane information that doesn't apply to your actual ability. Suddenly, you realize "this is it, I'm an adult." And you have to pick up and move on. There's no weaning into adulthood. There are no more baby steps. Just suddenly, you are thrown into being a "grown-up."

And, oddly, I'm loving it. It's kind of nice to be making my own choices, doing my own things. And yes, I have found a loophole into this adulthood thing. And yes, I am living with my parents. But I answer to nobody. I have no homework to do. I go to work, and then I'm through. If I want to go out, I can and not feel guilty for not practicing or not doing homework.

I wake up in the morings, I drink my coffee, I write some, I watch "The People' Court." I get dressed for work, come home and do it all over again the next day. It's somewhat monotonous, but that will change when I'm actually in my career, and not just working a job.

Wal-Mart is actually very kind to me. They worked with my Student Teaching schedule, whenever I needed them to. They let me have Sundays off so I can go and worship my Lord. They're good to me. And in return, I'm good to them. I do my job well. All of my jobs. Whether I'm behind the Customer Service Desk, at a cash register, greeting people at the door or actually being the Customer Service Manager (which is my actual job title,) I treat customers well and am praised for my service. But that's the way I operate; I take my job seriously.

I'm still crossing my fingers for a teaching job to come my way, but until them, I'm pretty content.

Come June, I'll be married. And then who knows what's coming next besides God? But I'm willing to take it all with a smile. :)

God bless you all.

No comments: