Thursday, October 2, 2008

My First Post

So--we all knew that it would happen, right? That somebody as strongly opinionated with, until today, no soapbox to stand on would turn to the virtual soapbox of Blogger, right? I like to write, and while I am not particularly fond of blogging, it will be nice to have somewhere kind of "grown-up" to post my writings. Kelli Fontenot (my amazingly talented friend) and I were just talking the other day about how Blogger is the adult version of Xanga. So I suppose I'll join the "adult world" of blogging.

My soapbox topic of the day: acceptance. This will be a recurring theme, no worries.

Why is it so difficult for us, as the Human Race, to merely accept individuals? Why is it so hard for us to love one another, to value one another? Is there something in our genetic make-up that causes us to naturally flee from differences, to run away from individuals, to hide from the unknown?

Why do we feel it necessary to label each other with demeaning titles, to make fun of one another for the way we dress or talk, to ridicule one another for being just a tiny bit different? And I'm not saying that I am left out of the equation. I am the first to talk about somebody, and I know it, but now I'm striving for change. I don't want to talk about people, I don't want to hardor hostility and to breed hate. I really do want to love everybody, and I feel as if I'm doing well at that. Sure, there are a few people who my soul absolutely rejects. Sure, there will always be somebody that I cannot even force myself to love, and that is my human flaw. But I will try my hardest to love everybody.

I only wish that everybody could love each other, or even try. Imagine how much easier that might make life.

No comments: